Sunday, July 31, 2011

Weird and fascinating facts about Barrow

Since I haven't had a lot to report on due to a string of rainy, cold weather, I thought I would give you some interesting Barrow tidbits that I've picked up along the way.

Whenever a UPS or FedEx package arrives, it will be delivered to your house by a member of a family of Tongans who will drive it over as soon as it gets off the plane... this means it could be 10pm.

If you want a pizza delivered, East Coast Pizza has fabulous pies but you'll have to pay the $5 delivery fee for it to be delivered. Why? Because they call a cab and the cab delivers your pizza. Cab fare is $5 anywhere in town. :)

We attend the Presbyterian Church, which is the oldest church in Barrow. Unlike any other place I know, Alaska was split up by the different denominations by an agreement and Barrow was in the Presbyterian area. Only Presbyterian missionaries were sent up here initially. It is also interesting to note, that the scripture is read in Inupiat as well as English.

All the police officers are not originally from Barrow. The reason is that nobody in the native community is interested in taking the job because they are related to everybody else and don't want to arrest their relatives.

For summer fun, the kids find pieces of plywood or old table tops that float and sticks that they use as oars and go punting on the tiny, shallow ponds that are all around town.

4 comments:

  1. I like that cab fare is $5 to any part of town. That's kind of awesome. And hilarious that *that's* the pizza delivery :D

    punting around in shallow ponds on random floating objects just sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they don't have cops from the area so they don't have to arrest their relatives-cracked me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love Barrow, but I think it's always going to be a long distance relationship....these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! Long distance relationship. That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete