Friday, October 28, 2011

Save the whales.... for dinner!

Fall whaling season started early this month on the 8th of October.  I was totally bummed because I was out of town and of course they caught two whales before I got back.  Then there was a LONG stretch of time when the weather was too bad for anybody to go out and I figured it was over.  I was happily surprised when I heard  on Monday that two whales had been caught (unfortunately for me, that news came too late for me to get a look), and then today while I was in an appointment I overheard that another had been caught.  I rushed home, forced Ian to get himself and the boy ready, and we raced out to the site of the old runway, where they were butchering it.  As it turns out, we caught the tail end of the butchering (not the prettiest subject of photographs) but I can now say I HAVE SEEN a bowhead whale being butchered.  It was gory to say the least... blood staining the snow everywhere.  I saw a fin laying around and part of the ribs, some intestines and other organs and whatnot... and it was SO COOL!  This marks the 5th whale caught this fall whaling season and the meat goes to feed the community.  Now I likely have to wait a whole year to hopefully get there soon enough to see them haul it up the beach and make the first cuts... and I can't wait!  Congratulations to the crew who brought this whale in!  


5 comments:

  1. Holy Whale!!! Look at the steam - that is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I could have gotten there in time to see them make the first cuts with the huge whale dwarfing everybody! Alas, maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! How big are those slabs of meat? Let us know if it's yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... they were about 8-12 inches wide and several feet long. We weren't given any. We would have had to get there sooner I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture is simultaneously disgusting and fascinating! Interesting stuff Mary Virginia.

    ReplyDelete